Thursday, January 1, 2015

And we're off!

I am going to devote much of my fiber time in 2015 to working with local fiber, local mills and local dyers.  I will keep track of this here on A Year of Spinning Locally. Today, I started out as I mean to go on and brought orange wool roving dyed by The Spinning Daisy ,whose dyed fiber is amazing, which I have been spinning on Peruvian Pushka spindle and some delightful local pin drafted roving and a trusty bosworth midi to the Textile Center for the Rock Day spin in. I had a lot of fun talking with other spinners and seeing what they were doing. I started out spinning the orange roving, and then switched to the other wool I brought. This is from a sheep called Ruthanne, from Strawberry Ridge Farm which I acquired at Shepherd's Harvest in 2013. This spring I sent it to Rach Al Paca farm to be washed, carded, and turned into roving. It is the most delightful spinning I have done in a long long time, fantastic wool, pin-drafted roving prepared beautifully which effortlessly drafts into yarn. I really enjoy using local wool, and ADORE being able to support local fiber businesses. A good beginning to what I hope will be a year of spinning locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment